Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, the only daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru was born on 19th November 1917. She was the only women to hold such a prestigious office in India.
She served the country for the longest time after her father Jawaharlal Nehru and was the central figure of the India National Congress to hold the office from January 1966 to March 1977 and January 1980 to October 1984 (until she was assassinated)
On her 100th birthday today, duty calls us to talk about her remarkable achievements, which distinguishes her as one of the best Prime Minister of India.
- Victory in the 1971 Liberation war over Pakistan one the best things that happened during Indira Gandhi’s Legacy. It helped in the formulation of Bangladesh as a separate country as well. Her power and position during those times were so overwhelming that even the opposition party leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee referred her as Goddess Durga.
- She was the In charge when India conducted the Pokhran Test. The ministry of external affairs named it as Pokhran – I. It was an announcement to the world that India did not intend to make Nuclear weapons, but was totally capable of harvesting the nuclear tech and energy for peaceful purposes. It solidified the defence mechanism of India to a great extent.
- She also aimed at improving the overall globalization of India and she nationalized 14 banks in India during her first tenure.
There are many more achievements, small and big done by the Honorable Prime Minister of India but there are a few lesser known facts about her as well.
- Even though she belonged to the most powerful family, as a child she had a group of spy kids, who called themselves “Monkey Brigade” who used to spy on police and distribute Indian flags.
- She has also studied in Visva Bharati University in Shantiniketan under the mentorship of Rabindra Nath Tagore, who also gave her the name Priyadarshini.
- On her assassination, she was hit with 31 bullets, out of which 30 had hit her, 23 had passed through her and 7 remained trapped in her body.
- She was barred from politics for 6 years.
- Indira Gandhi was also close to her personal guru, Dhirendra Brahmachari who also used to help her with her crucial decisions.
Every person who has worked with her, for her or has even met her feels that she was a lady with a very positive aura. A lady who tried to look at the bright side of things, and her inner radiance and positivity reflected from her skin.
Her approach towards things was such that the famous cartoonists R.K. Laxman once said about her – “I made funnier cartoons of Indira Gandhi but she conferred me with Padma Shree award that was her spirit “